Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Lesson From My Father


“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous-how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.”

I read this passage coming off of an emotional night. As I sat in the bathroom crying with my Mom and sisters, we talked about how far we had come in the past year in our own relationships.  I remembered how God used me in my family by introducing Gideon to me.  He was the least of his family and God told him to lead them. When he said, “Who am I to do this? I am the least of my family!” God responded by saying, “I will be with you.” I remember thinking that it was so cool that God’s response had absolutely nothing to do with Gideon and everything to do with the Lord.  I was the least in my family, but I felt He was calling me to make a change that would cause a ripple effect in my family.  Although that year was easily one of the hardest years of my life, it was such a blessing from the Lord.  He used my situation to lead us to attend counseling with a wonderful Christian counselor and God not only mended our relationships—no.  A mere needle-and-thread patchwork wouldn’t cut it—He deeply healed our relationships and made them healthier than before! Praise to my King! As I sat thinking about all of this tonight, I realized that God had that all planned out before I was even born. To think that God has our pain planned out for the glory of His holy name is overwhelming.  It’s difficult to grasp and sometimes frustrating and eventually honoring to think He would choose someone so insignificant to bring honor to Himself.

Tonight was a challenging night for me.  Part of our family is in shambles and there is literally nothing I can do to fix it other than to submit it to God and trust in Him.  I spoke out of anger tonight because my feelings were incredibly hurt and as I read this passage from Psalm 139, it reminds me that God knit me together and knows my feelings intimately and that this day was planned long ago.  I even prayed tonight before our family meeting that God would help me to be slow to anger and slow to speech but quick to listen.  I did fine during the meeting but when Auntie hurt my feelings, I stormed into the bathroom full of anger and said hurtful things about her.  I wasn’t slow to anger or slow to speech in that moment.  But God had this planned long ago.  I may not see the end result tonight or tomorrow-I may not see it come to fruition for years.  But this I do know: The Lord is in control and He has been from the very beginning.  And I know that He will be with me.  So in the meantime, I asked Him to forgive me for the ways I sinned and asked Him to help me freely and graciously extend forgiveness to my Aunt because He so freely gave such a precious gift of forgiveness to me and I was far from deserving of it.  My hurt feelings tonight are nothing compared to what I have done to my Savior.

“Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you” Psalm 143:8.  These wise words from King David ring true for me today.  I give myself to you, my Lord, and I have nothing else to offer but my insignificant little life.  But I ask that you show me where to walk that I might live righteously and treat others the way you have treated me-with great love. I give myself to you because I am your workmanship that you formed in the intimate, utter seclusion of my mother’s womb.  You know me inside and out, better than anyone could ever know me.  You know my heart and my hurts-my dreams and my fears-what makes me laugh and what makes me cry-every hair on my head, every tear that has fallen, every mistake, every goal achieved, every joy.  You are my joy, my Father, because you are everything to me.  I will praise you all the days of my life because you designed each day for me and you are worthy of praise.  I love you!

“How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.  They cannot be numbered!  I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!  And when I wake up, you are still with me!” 139:17-18

“Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me along with you counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.  Whom have I in heaven but you?  I desire you more than anything on earth.  My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever.” 73:23-26

“The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.  The Lord is good to everyone.” 145:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment