My amazing Auntie is a photographer and recently got involved with an organization called "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" (nilmdts). It is a volunteer organization of photographers that are called in to take family pictures when a baby dies. My aunt has, unfortunately, been called in 5 times since November. It seems crazy that so many of these sweet babies are dying.
My aunt sent out a text asking if anyone in the family would like to volunteer to be her assistant-help her with paperwork, lighting, positioning, etc. I thought since this organization sounded amazing, I would apply for the position.
Last night, my aunt called me to let me know she had been called in. A full term little boy passed away unexpectedly. She wanted me to take a few minutes to pray and see if I was ready to do it. I got off the phone and instantly started crying-I can't imagine losing my baby. My awesome Mom prayed with me-for comfort for the family and strength for me and Auntie-that we would be God's hands and feet on one of the worst days of this family's life.
When Auntie and I drove to the hospital, she prepped me on what would happen and what the baby might look like so that I could be more prepared. When we got to the hospital, I was nervous and couldn't concentrate on praying. But I asked that God would give me the strength and courage to help this family and not cry. The baby had been delivered at 4pm and we weren't called until after 10pm-we didn't get to the hospital till 11. The nurses said he'd probably been gone 24 hours prior to delivery.
I walked in the room and instantly felt like there were angels in the room with us-taking care of the parents and watching over the sweet little baby. My aunt introduced us and we looked at the baby. Nothing could have prepared me for that-it honestly was the most horrible thing I've ever seen in my entire life. He was such a cute baby with teeny ears and a little button nose-but at the same time, you could see the horrible effects of death on his little body.
As my aunt positioned him for pictures and talked so sweetly to him, I was so impressed with how she handled herself and how tender she was with both the baby and the parents. She was definitely Jesus to that family last night. She got beautiful shots of him by himself and then with both his mom and dad. She also got very cute pictures of baby and dad's feet together-they had the same exact feet-so cute!
As the photo shoot was going on, I saw that the family was LDS-the dad was reading scripture as we took pictures. I just prayed the whole time that God would wrap them up in His comforting arms and give them peace--peace that surpasses understanding is what my Mom prayed. And I prayed that God would be glorified in their lives through this experience. At one point, I kept feeling like God was telling me to ask the dad if I could pray with him-he was crying while the mom was taking pictures with baby. I didn't know if I was allowed to or not-I wish I had. But hopefully my silent prayers were enough for the moment.
I know my aunt's pictures of the family are going to be amazing like they always are and that the family will be so blessed by them. They were so appreciative of my aunt coming out at night to take pictures. I think this is an organization I would love to be apart of-but last night was rough. I was completely silent the entire time and all the way home. I was just in shock at what that sweet boy looked like. But I know that was just his earthly body and he's in the sweet arms of Jesus now!
Anyway, if we're facebook friends and you see a status of mine saying something about needing prayers for a nilmdts family, please pray! Prayers are so incredibly powerful! I'm excited for the day when Jesus takes us home and death loses it's sting! God is so good and I'm thankful that my Auntie uses her passion to be God's hands and feet. What amazing women in my family to look up to! Father, I pray for the family from last night-I pray You would wrap them up in Your loving arms and give them peace that surpasses their understanding. And I pray You would be glorified! I love you Lord-Amen
I sure hope you know how much I love you. Really... I'm guessing that now that you have been an auntie for five years, that you do have an idea of what it's like to have a child....who you didn't give birth to....but you love as though you did. That'd be me and you (and your sisters). Yep I love you that much.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
auntie