I told myself last night that I would not do anything fun until I had gotten all of my homework done and had cleaned some of the house. Alas, I have already checked facebook twice (although the first time was for about 1 minute and the second time was to get to my blog link). I just thought I would share this random little idea I have bouncing around in my head.
I've been thinking about being a high school English teacher-I am majoring in education right now. However, I have not been convinced at all that this is what I should do! For my intro to education class, we are having to read a book called "Letters to a Young Teacher" by Jonathan Kozol-it is such a good book! He was an elementary teacher and the book is his letters to a young elementary teacher, sharing their opinions on education and how to teach. I just finished chapter 9 (about making learning fun) and it makes me want to be an elementary teacher so bad! He talks about a teacher who gives her class a caterpillar as a classroom pet and how after the butterfly is released (with a huge celebration), they learn about the life cycle of a caterpillar. He also talks about one teacher who sees a student staring out the window at a squirrel during reading time and instead of telling him to return to his seat, she simply joins him and embraces that moment of childhood wonderment.
Oh my goodness-I want to be an elementary teacher now! I would love to be one of those teachers that my students look back on fondly because the class was absolutely magical. And think of how cute my room would be! I'd have books galore and fun things to do-oh my goodness. Maybe that's what I should do! What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment